This took me longer than I thought it would (and should). Last week, I got stuck as I started thinking about metaphors and found all the ideas I had were shabby hoop-jump place holders. I think the main thing is that I don’t really want to talk about what curriculum is, I’m far more interested into how it comes to be. So after giving up on this a few days ago, I took the time to think and come up with a metaphor that is something I would be comfortable explaining to a cynical person…like me!

To me curriculum is the evolution of product in the auto industry. Obviously, the terminology is different…but I find the roles that all the actors play, and the way they interact with each other are similar. The industry is reactive to both its consumers and its parent industries. Typically, nothing is really proactively done, unless that is to poll what the consumers are going to want, or to imagine what will be required from the higher-ups.

That being said, the industry has innovators. Some auto-makers, like Tesla, break the mold and change the inner-workings of their product, up-ending the practices and expectations of related industries. Other auto-makers remain rigid and forge ahead with the notion that their product has always worked well, and it will continue to do so. Sometimes, automakers will copy each other, but place their own sort of flair or set of priorities on their products. This results in some products being suited for different tasks as well…but they all come down to commuting, most of the time.

When purchasing an auto, you’re pretty sure that you’re taking on extra things that don’t really need to be there..but they sure sound good. Later, while you maintaining your auto, something will malfunction. A Mechanic (the expert) is going to tell you exactly how to fix it. They might be right or wrong…all you know is, you don’t really believe them.

Lastly, I suppose my metaphor demonstrates that to me curriculum is something that needs to marketed, a quality which I hope we can get rid of.